Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Simple Reminder


Pictured above are myself, my father, and my older brother.

Between the three of us we have seen plenty of time in the Middle East, from the mountainous terrains of Afghanistan to the streets of Iraq. Needless to say, we have all grown a greater appreciation for life in the U.S.A.

My father, pictured above in the center, is one of fourteen children to the man featured in the previous blog entitled “Putting a Struggle Into Perspective.” This article focuses on the military career of my father and his role in the defense of liberty and this country.

Perhaps you can tell by the photo, but that is one proud and beaming Papa. Who could he have possibly thought that after serving an entire career in the United States Army that he would one day stand shoulder to shoulder with his two sons who would likewise serve in the United States Army and eventually deploy to the same battleground. After 11 years of retirement, the opportunity arose for himself to once again to lace on a pair of military boots and join the fight overseas in Operation Enduring Freedom.

Both my brother and I, and not to mention the rest of the family, were caught by surprise to learn that our father had once again gone on active duty. And not only that, but he was to join the fight overseas that both my brother and I had been engaged in. We had all come to the knowledge on our own of how exquisitely painful it was to live in the mountainous regions of Afghanistan as well as the other brutal climates the Army has in store for us. In addition to that, we all knew of the sacrifices required of us to support and defend our country.

Pictured behind us is our backyard fence. Immediately after the events of September 11, 2001 I had begun discussing with my family the opportunity to serve in the United States military. At that time my father had been retired from active duty for several years and was more than supportive of my decision to complete my current schooling and enlist in the Army. In the time between enlisting and finishing my school I had decided to take upon myself another project. Our backyard fence became that project. Standing at a height of 8 feet, our backyard fence would soon be painted with the American flag. And to the immediate right of that flag there was painted three vertical blue stars, symbolizing three family members serving overseas. Several years after painting this flag on the fence, I had decided to make a few touch ups to restore the damage done over time. While doing so, a vehicle pulled up beside me and came to a stop. After the window was rolled down, I found myself speaking to one of my parents neighbors whom I had never met. She shared with me that day that each time she drove home from work and passed our fence she was filled with a renewed sense of patriotism, hope, and love of our country. By the tenor in her voice I could detect her sincerity and was supremely grateful for her sharing that with me.

Sometimes we only need a simple reminder to bring us back. The unity that was felt throughout our country after the events of September 11th should never be forgotten. Amidst the frequent hymns of “God Bless America” and "The Star-Spangled Banner" we were sure of our national identity and purpose.

Let us never forget our purpose and always be prepared to stand In Defense of Liberty.


2 comments:

  1. Great Blog:) This is Arielle- Dave wanted me to check your blog out for him:) He's gone to NTC!! Mitt Romney for President!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish him the best of luck for me, thanks Arielle!!

    ReplyDelete