Saturday, March 14, 2009

Free to Fight, Not to Write

Ouch. I feel like I've been kicked right in my [blogspot]!

As I began work on introducing a military theme to my obviously political and pro-conservative website I had the lingering memory of someone once telling me about being an active duty military member and our ability to express our political views.

On May 26, 2008 Thom Shanker of the New York Times wrote:
"The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has written an unusual open letter to all those in uniform, warning them to stay out of politics..." Something tells me this NYT reporter may have been grinning ear to ear as he wrote this article.

The JCS Admiral Mullen wrote:
“As the nation prepares to elect a new president, we would all do well to remember the promises we made: to obey civilian authority, to support and defend the Constitution and to do our duty at all times.”“Keeping our politics private is a good first step,” he added. “The only things we should be wearing on our sleeves are our military insignia.”

“I am not suggesting that military professionals abandon all personal opinions about modern social or political issues,” Admiral Mullen wrote. “What I am suggesting — indeed, what the nation expects — is that military personnel will, in the execution of the mission assigned to them, put aside their partisan leanings. Political opinions have no place in cockpit or camp or conference room.”

Other than a few sentences, much of this statement holds up well with our charge as service members. As members of the United States military we are obliged to obey our leaders both elected officials and our superior officers. We have been known to place mission first as we sacrifice our comfort, our time with family, and even our lives. But to be told that our political opinions must remain silent or confined solely to our homes strikes a far different note.

The military is in no way isolated from the outside world or from other citizens who routinely express their opinion. Yes, we accept any lawfully given order by those in our command regardless of our philosophical or moral objections. But, does that mean we are not to offer a differing opinion or perhaps another course of action? Isn’t that akin to saying a company commander can’t break from a policy of driving the speed limit on an Iraqi road when he detects an increased threat? Are we expressly forbidden from defending what we see as our American way of life? What law are we violating when we stand up to those who accuse of us being war criminals or baby-killers? And what recourse do we have when our own elected officials are making those statements?

Apparently I am not allowed to show disapproval for Rep. Jack Murtha’s statements when he accused the Marines at Haditha of "cold-blooded murder and war crimes''. He has protections allowing him to participate in defamation of character by way of the Speech or Debate clause. I have no such protection.
I can not address my opposition to Sen. Harry Reid’s claims that the war was lost while his words emboldened and encouraged our adversaries in a time of war. I am only authorized to sit and smile.

And apparently I stand on the precipice of a court martial (not kidding) if I defend our military by opposing the comments of then Senator Obama about Afghanistan. I must not voice my disagreement with the idea that the job we were doing was so inferior and strategically flawed that we were “just air-raiding villages and killing civilians, which is causing enormous problems there.”

But in the Joint Chief’s defense, he was more than likely attempting to address the issue of a growing undercurrent in military opinion concerning the anti-Iraq war sentiment that continuously assaulted their senses from an agenda-driven media. But, if his intent was to enforce a strict “no-politics” policy, then I have no other recourse than to shut my mouth and drive on in my military career to never again stand up for what I believe in public discourse.

Perhaps now is the time to me to cling to my guns, my religion, and my antipathy towards others in the privacy of my own home.

Regardless, I still need to speak in defense of my country, please see my next posting, "Bending Like a Reed."

*Ehem*

…But, despite any possible future censorship, my wife pointed out that it doesn’t stop her from voicing her opinion or from posting some ideas I share with her…

God Bless America and my patriotic wife!

JD

4 comments:

  1. That's rotten. I guess the first amendment discludes those who are working for our country rather than just taking from it.

    Welcome to JD's wife. Feel free to make your protests loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am stunned! I agree with you, Nate!!

    With that said, I think it is fantastic that 'Mrs. JD' is blogging!! Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS -- I love the new header on the blog!! It's fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife is excited for the opportunity, but first we must find out how to grant her access to editing and posting on the blog. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete